To improve human comfort in the built environment, particularly in the tropical climate.
The essential point of architecture is the provision of organised spaces for use by man. Consequently, the Department’s philosophy is that of an integrated design approach for the study and practice of architecture. The student architects are encouraged to (integrate with) visit and study the physical environment of the end users (of all design assignments they undertake).
Through this process, they are better equipped to unravel the existing site problems and needs before they delve into seeking to provide solutions. Having thus been better equipped, they are then guided to integrate this first-hand knowledge into the processes gained in the studio to provide better, more sustainable and more affordable solutions within diverse natural, man-made and cultural environments.
Architectural education in the University has two main goals, which are:
- To produce, at the end of a two-tier (BSc – MSc) programme, architects with degrees that can be registered by the Architects Registration Council of Nigeria (ARCON), after being required to pass only the Professional Practice examination. In other words, graduates that meet both academic and professional standards.
- To impart to the students the necessary discipline, skills and confidence they need to compete and adapt successfully in the continuously evolving and changing environment of architectural practice outside school.
The objectives of the programme are
- To enable the graduates, imbibe skills that will help them to understand, analyse and synthesize environmental problems and be able to systematically project and evolve physical and environmental solutions to perceived problems in the built environment.
- To train graduate architects who will be able to predict the physical, environmental impact, safety, health and legal implications and requirements of architectural solutions.
- To equip graduates with the ability to probe into the needs of individuals, clients, society and other stakeholders in the built environment so as to proffer pleasant, aesthetic solutions.
- To equip graduates with the skills for effective communication of ideas and dreams to the client, society and stakeholders.
- To encourage, as early as possible, academic specialization in the broad and increasing areas of the architectural profession by exposing the students to wide possibilities, challenges and opportunities in the profession.
- To help the student see architectural results as team efforts and thus be able to effectively interact with, co-ordinate, monitor and supervise members of the building team.
- To help the student appreciate the influence of technology and culture to the profession.
- To help the graduates appreciate the universality of the architectural principles in the global environment without losing sight of the obvious peculiarities of architectural problems and solutions.