Advert for Vice Chancellor Position
CHUKWUEMEKA ODUMEGWU OJUKWU UNIVERSITY
(Formerly Anambra State University)
OFFICE OF THE REGISTRAR
Appointment of Vice Chancellor
- Pursuant to the provisions of the law establishing Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu University – Anambra State, Govt. Law, 2014, Ordinances II Subsection I (page A. 38), the Governing Council of Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu University hereby notifies the Academic Community both within and outside Nigeria and the general public that the post of Vice Chancellor of Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu University is vacant. By this publication, the University serves a notice of its intention to commence the process of filling the vacancy, as aforementioned.
- The Institution
The Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu University (formerly Anambra State University) was established in 2000 by Anambra State Law No 13 of 2000 which was later repealed by Anambra State Government Law 2014 of 11th September 2014 to provide first rate facilities for learning, to give quality instruction and training and to encourage all-round excellence in all branches of knowledge as may be considered desirable. The University is State owned, recognized by Educational Bodies in Nigeria, with three functioning campuses at Awka, Igbariam and Uli. The University caters for both the full-time and part-time students.
- The Post
A candidate aspiring for the vacant post of Vice Chancellor should hold the rank of full Professor with minimum of ten years post professorial and fifteen years teaching experience in a recognized University. He/she should be a proven academic of national and international repute with vision and mission, a solid background of administration, managerial ability, public relations and an in-depth knowledge of Information and Communication Technology. Other requisite qualities are transparency in private and public life, integrity, firmness, courage and commitment to “due process” in the exercise of assignments. The right candidate should also be of robust health, resourceful, and should have the ability to develop linkages with external communities to meet the emerging needs of the University, command the respect and engender cooperation and loyalty of staff and students of the University.
- Schedule of Duties
The Vice Chancellor shall:
- Be the Principal and Chief Executive Officer of the University;
- Be the ex-officio Chairman of the Senate;
- In the absence of the Chancellor, confer Degrees and other academic titles and distinctions of the University;
- Be competent at all times to advise the Council on issues with respect to administration, finance and policy of the University;
- Be responsible to the Council in maintaining the efficiency and good order of the University and for ensuring the proper enforcement of the statutes, ordinances and regulations of the University;
- Regulate the admission of students into the University in accordance with stipulated guidelines and procedures approved by Senate and with any other law or policy applicable to the University;
- Have the responsibility of ensuring that peace and order are maintained within the University estate and;
- Undertake any other duties deemed appropriate to promote development of the University in a conducive atmosphere.
- Terms and Conditions of Service Applicable to the Post
- The Vice Chancellor shall hold office for a single term of five (5) years only.
- The remuneration and other conditions of service are as applicable to the post of Vice Chancellor in Nigerian Universities and as determined by the State Government and the Governing Council of the University from time to time.
- Method of Application
Each candidate should submit twenty (20) copies of his/her detailed Curriculum Vitae duly signed and dated, providing information as stated hereunder:
- Full Name
- Place and Date of Birth (Not above 60 years at the time of application)
- Report of Medical Fitness from Government Hospital
- Birth Certificate/Declaration of Age
- Marital Status, number and ages of children
- Academic Distinctions (Degrees with classes. Copies of certificates to be attached)
- Teaching, Research, Administrative and Managerial Experience
- Academic Distinction
- Membership of Academic and Professional Bodies
- Scholarly Publications (well referenced)
- Mission Statement on Vision for the University in the next five (5) years (not more than 10 pages)
- Names and addresses of three (3) Referees who should be in a position to attest to the candidate’s academic, professional and managerial abilities as well as moral character and uprightness. The Referees should submit by themselves, confidential reports on each candidate to the Registrar and Secretary to Council with the candidate’s name indicated on the envelope.
In the case of candidates identified and nominated by the Search/Nomination Committee, the Curriculum Vitae must be accompanied by a letter of consent, duly signed and dated by the candidate.
All candidates must formally apply for the post irrespective of the process of nomination/search.
All applications are to be submitted in sealed envelopes marked boldly at the upper left hand corner “POST OF VICE CHANCELLOR, CHUKWUEMEKA ODUMEGWU OJUKWU UNIVERSITY,” addressed to the Registrar and Secretary to Council, Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu University, P.M.B. 6059 Igbariam, to reach her not later than THREE WEEKS from the date of this publication.
Short-listed candidates shall be invited for interaction with the Joint Council/Senate Committee on Appointment of Vice Chancellor on the date approved by the Committee.
Dr. Mrs. Ngozi E. Ezeibe
Registrar and Secretary to Council